A portable player with exceptional performance
Astell&Kern specializes in portable music players that deliver detailed, nuanced sound with your library of digital music files. The KANN Alpha has both unbalanced and balanced outputs, so it can handle even the most demanding high-performance headphones. And it can play from a variety of high-resolution digital music sources, with Wi-Fi built-in to expand your listening options.
Built for high-resolution music
The KANN Alpha plays your downloaded high-res FLAC, WAV, and Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files in their native resolution. Dual high-quality digital-to-analog converters (DACs) give you bit-perfect playback for PCM-based files up to 32-bit/384kHz.
The player is compatible with MQA, a high-resolution audio format used in TIDAL's "Masters" streaming music service tier and by other music download sites on the web. And don't worry — the KANN Alpha delivers surprisingly detailed sound with your CD-quality and compressed music files, too.
Make the most of your wireless headphones...
The player has Bluetooth 5.0 built-in, which offers better sound and increased range when listening on your wireless headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. It also supports Sony's LDAC Hi-Fidelity codec for high-resolution wireless music streaming to compatible products.
...or use wired 'phones for the best possible sound
The KANN Alpha has a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. And it has two balanced headphone outputs for compatible higher-end headphones - a 2.5mm 4-pole output, and a 4.4mm 5-pole output. The circuits for these two balanced outputs are isolated from each other to eliminate potential interference. And with output up to 12Vrms, they have enough power to drive even demanding 'phones.
Built-in and expandable memory
The KANN Alpha features a 64GB internal memory. The microSD slot can support cards up to 1TB. The player connects to your computer via an included USB-C cable for speedy file transfers.
More premium features
The player has a 4.1" touchscreen, giving you a clear, high-def view of music selections and menus. A knurled volume control knob lets you make fine adjustments. And the durable milled aluminum casing with ceramic caps adds visual appeal.
- plays a wide range of digital music formats, including MP3, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, DSD, and MQA
- native playback of high-resolution audio files
- up to 32-bit/384kHz for PCM and 11.2MHz for DSD
- 64GB internal flash memory
- microSD slot for cards up to 1TB
- built-in rechargeable battery lasts up to 14.5 hours
- high-output built-in headphone amplifier
Display and controls:
- 4.1" high-definition touchscreen display
- analog knob on the side controls volume and power
- color-coded LED indicator ring displays information about audio resolution and volume
Processing and wireless features:
- dual ESS ES9068AS digital-to-analog converters for bit-perfect playback of high-resolution audio files
- built-in 2.4GHz Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 5.0 transmission for playing through wireless headphones and speakers
- supports aptX HD and LDAC formats for high-fidelity streaming
Connections and specs:
- high-speed USB Type-C port (cable included)
- 3.5mm unbalanced headphone output
- 2.5mm balanced output (4-pole)
- 4.4mm balanced output (5-pole)
- output impedance:
- 0.8 ohm (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 2.0 ohms/1.8 ohms (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- total harmonic distortion @1kHz:
- 0.0003% (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 0.0005% (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- signal-to-noise ratio @1kHz:
- 116 dB (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 117 dB (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- crosstalk @1kHz:
- -128dB (3.5mm unbalanced)
- -136dB (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- aluminum casing with ceramic back and top plates
- output levels:
- high: 12Vrms (balanced); 6Vrms (unbalanced)
- mid: 8Vrms (balanced); 4Vrms (unbalanced)
- low: 4Vrms (balanced); 2Vrms (unbalanced)
- 2-3/4"W x 4-11/16"H x 1-1/16"D
- weight: 11.25 oz.