McIntosh MC1502 2-Channel Vacuum Tube Amplifier
- 150 Watts x 2 Channels
- Unity Coupled Circuit Output Transformers
- (8) KT88, (4) 12AX7A and (4) 12AT7 vacuum tubes
The MC1502 Vacuum Tube Amplifier is a stereo amplifier designed for home audio and home music systems that produces 150 Watts per channel. It is the direct replacement to McIntosh's award winning MC2152 Limited Edition 70th Anniversary Vacuum Tube Amplifier, which was released in celebration of our 70th Anniversary that occurred in 2019. The new MC1502 has identical audio specifications and sound reproduction performance of the heralded MC2152 but in a more customary McIntosh design.
The MC1502 shares the timeless styling of McIntosh's classic MC275 Vacuum Tube Amplifier. As the MC1502 has twice the stereo power rating of the MC275 (150 Watts vs. 75 Watts) and is physically larger, in many ways it can be considered the MC275's big brother. And while a pair of MC275s can be run in mono to achieve the 150 Watts per channel output of the MC1502, the MC1502 boasts a better signal-to-noise ratio of 112dB vs. 105dB for the MC275 pairing – producing an even quieter performance than the already quiet MC275.
The KT88 vacuum tube sockets include Air-Pipe cooling at their bases to help facilitate long service life. The eight signal tube sockets have ceramic base construction with gold plated contacts, providing protection from atmospheric contamination. All the vacuum tubes sit atop the precision formed stainless steel chassis polished to a mirror finish. McIntosh's Sentry Monitor™ technology monitors the output current and shuts the amplifier off if it ever exceeds safe limits; the signal tubes will flash red if Sentry Monitor is ever activated.
Unlike many other amplifiers, the MC1502's full 150 Watts can be delivered to almost any pair of speakers regardless if they have 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance. This is thanks to McIntosh's patented Unity Coupled Circuit output transformer technology – the same technology McIntosh was founded on in 1949. Two Unity Coupled Circuit output transformers flank the power transformer which is positioned between them. Each transformer is housed in a glass topped extruded enclosure that displays the wiring diagram for each transformer. Two fully spelled out vintage die cast aluminum name badges adorn two sides of the MC1502, while an abbreviated badge is centered between the Tube Lights and Power knobs.
Both balanced and unbalanced inputs are included to connect the MC1502 to your preamplifier and the rest of your home audio system. McIntosh's patented Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts will securely connect your speaker cables to your speakers.
An input and output for McIntosh's Power Control technology allows other connected McIntosh components, such as preamplifiers, CD players, turntables, or media steamers, to automatically turn on and off.
McIntosh MC1502 Specifications
- Power Output per Channel: 150W @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
- Number of Channels: 2
- Total Harmonic Distortion:
- 0.5% maximum harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to rated power, 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- <0.20% at 1W, 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- S/N below rated output:
- Dynamic Headroom: 1.2dB
- Damping Factor: >18
- Rated Power Band: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Frequency Response:
- +0, -0.25dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- +0, -3dB from 10Hz to 70,000Hz
- Remote Power Control: Yes
- Speaker Binding Post Type: Patented Solid Cinch™ Speaker Binding Posts
- Circuit Configuration: Unity Coupled
- Circuit Design: Vacuum Tube
- Output Type: Unity Coupled Output Transformer
- Balanced Input: 2
- Illumination: Small Signal Tubes: Green, Natural
- Chassis Style: Polished Stainless Steel
WEIGHTS & DIMENSIONS
- Unit Dimensions (W x H x D): 18-1/4" (46.4cm) x 10-1/4" (26cm) (including feet) x 21" (53.3cm)
- Unit Weight: 118 lbs (53.5 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg)