Ortofon 2M Mono Moving Magnet Cartridge
- An improved engine, which provides a high level of sonic accuracy
- R 18µm Nude Spherical diamond that is an optimal solution for playing mono microgroove LP vinyl records
- The cartridge body is manufactured from Hopelex, an environment-friendly material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances
- 2M Mono uses a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins
Yes, stereo has won the ‘battle’ of recordings. It’s rare these days a label releases a mono version. However, the mono recordings have something interesting: in competing for space in a one channel sound, the various instruments create the ambiance of stillness, a hypnotic moment where all is there, the intensity of the moment in its full capacity. And here is where we can make the case that the 2M Mono from Ortofon gets you authentic and superior mono sound."
— Reviewed by Jesús González-Monreal,
AUDIOPHILIA September 25, 2020
2M Mono for playing microgroove vinyl records
2M Mono uses a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
Ortofon has optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, and the weight and size to fit the most common turntables on the market today. The 2M Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
The 2M Series is developed in conjunction with the Danish Industrial designer Møller Jensen Design - the same designer who designed the award winning MC Jubilee and Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
The name 2M was selected from among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and remember, and therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
The 2M has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
The 2M Mono features an 18 µm Nude Spherical stylus that is an optimal solution for playing mono microgroove vinyl records. Both 2M Mono and 2M 78 feature an optimized engine for superior sound quality and use a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of terminal pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it easily possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
The 2M Blue, Bronze, Black and Mono’s diamonds are mounted directly onto the cantilever, rather than being mounted on a metal shank which is affixed to the cantilever. Nude mounting reduces tip mass, enabling the stylus to respond more quickly to rapid changes in groove modulation. This improves portrayal of strong transients.
2M Series styli interchangeability
The 2M Series' engines, coils and magnets configurations are not identical: Red and Blue are identical, so are the Bronze and Black and so are the true mono variants 2M Mono and 2M 78. Likewise, 2M series styli are interchangeable within the below combinations:
- 2M Red, 2M Blue and 2M Silver
- 2M Bronze and 2M Black
- 2M Mono and 2M 78
Styli Lifetime And Care</b
With proper care we find that up to 1,000 hours is possible without degradation of performance.
Proper care is comprised of the following:
- Cleaning of record by means of fibre brush before and after every use. Cleaning of record by using record cleaning machine once in a while.
- Cleaning of stylus by means of a fine antistatic brush. Please remember to remove dust from the diamond tip before and after playback of each record. Use the brush in the forward direction from the rear of the cartridge towards the stylus tip, never from stylus tip to the rear of the cartridge and never from side to side.
- Proper adjustment of alignment, antiskating, azimuth and tracking force.
- Ortofon do not recommend the use of solvents of any kind for cleaning of either record surface or stylus.